Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Not So Quick Update

Two more weeks of judging and I'll be able to start working on that Wanna Read list again. Other than fantasy stuff, I haven't even been looking at new releases for fear the list would get even more out of hand than it is already!

I have officially registered for the RT Convention in April. Five of us finalists are going. Even though I'm a bit nervous, I think it'll turn out to be a lot of fun. (Especially that huge book fair!) There are a lot of authors signed up already from a variety of genres. If you see someone on the list you want me to try to stalk, um, I mean, get an autograph from, let me know. :-)

*Quick Marjorie Liu Fangirl Squee Moment*

Okay. I feel much better now.

Morgan's even tagging along, so I'll have a date for the social stuff. And the best part'll be the luncheon where the winner of ATIV will officially be announced. We're down to the wire with Trish and Helen, and voting ends this weekend.

Our author series here at Smyrna is going really well! We had a fantastic turnout for both Darrien Lee and Sherrilyn Kenyon and Smyrna Writers got a chance to pick Julianne Lee's brain. She was so gracious and gave us lots of insight. We were lucky enough to have six writers from the Middle TN chapter of Sisters in Crime here last Saturday. I was excited to discover a few new-to-me local authors who I can't wait to read! J.B. Thompson was the moderator, and author of The Mozart Murders and The Blue Frog.

Elizabeth Terrell's main character, Jared McKean, really compels me. And Beth got some bonus points for an offhand Harry Dresden reference while we were talking after the program.

I've mentioned Smyrna Writers member Mark Orr before on this blog. He writes some fantastic genre hybrid stuff, mixing noir mystery and the supernatural. Courtney Mroch also mixes the paranormal into her mysteries.

Chester Campbell is the new president of the Nashville SinC chapter. He's a very charming retired journalist whose P.I. characters work out of Nashville.

We're looking forward to a visit from Brenda Rickman Vantrease on March 8th. I loved The Illuminator! And we just confirmed with four Rutherford County writers who will do a panel on the 15th: Mark Strength, author of Bonnie Kate: Pioneer Lady; Margaret Ottley-Okubo, author of Everyday Miracles (stories that will touch your heart); Jacqui Trim, author of Fight For Your Destiny: breaking through for your breakthrough; and Candice Fern Adams, author of How to Help Your Children Get Ahead Spiritually and Educationally.

Whew! That's a lot of stuff! But we're having a great time with it. And Chad did a great job organizing everything. I think we'll be able to call WKH Winter Reading Program a success this year!

No comments: