Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Thing # 16

Before this Thing, I had a fuzzy idea of what wikis were, but I didn't really stop to think about their applications aside from wikipedia. They always seemed too social for my personal use. Although, I'm pondering them in relation to my writing. Having a book talk wiki might be a fun promotion tool for an author. Or a writer who's trying to build name recognition pre-publication. And I don't think it's been done yet. At least not by a writer. Huh.

Oh, sorry. Tangent.

Library wikis! As far as I can see, there are two basic library wiki types. The internal staff-based one, and the external patron and staff-based one. From the examples I've seen, in the discovery resources and as well as the TLA staff development workshops at Brentwood, both types can be extremely useful in communication and resource management. I think my favorite was the subject guide wiki. Boiled down, it's like putting the book displays online for folks to access all the time, with card catalog information build right in. There were even librarian approved informational links on the same page with the books, combining print and Internet resources! *mops up drool* And when I went to the SJCPL website from the wiki, I discovered that they have a library video game club. With a blog. *sidelong glance at Al* Double Dash tournaments? DDR? I could see luring in the underserved YA population with video games, and staff could use their own equipment. The library wouldn't have to buy anything. Must file that idea for later.

Most of the wikis I found were fantastic. There were a couple, though, that I found to be lacking in cohesion. At least for my little pea brain. The Library Outreach Wiki, for example, seemed like an organized hodgepodge of things, sometimes in outline form, sometimes written out. All wikis are a work in progress, but the LOW seemed like it didn't really have a nucleus.

Because of the SJCPL subject guide wiki, I can really see how this little toy could help with readers' advisory. (Oh, come on, you knew it was coming!) I really liked the idea of the Book Lovers Wiki, but I would love to see the concept move away from reviews and more toward a conversation. I don't know if a wiki or a blog would be a better tool for that. But I'll bet we could integrate a book review wiki section to help manage our winter reading program. Just a thought. :-)

No comments: