Thursday, October 18, 2007

Thing #5 or, My Literal View From the Desk

This is what I get to look at all day.



Neat, huh? The picture doesn't give it justice at all because I was trying for an angle with the least amount of display case glare. Even so, it's difficult to believe that the entire thing is made of cardboard and felt with the exception of the greenery and animal figurines.



It was created in 1969 by Tom Tichenor who was a master puppet maker and performer at Nashville Public Library. When we moved from our Walnut Street location to Enon Springs in 1999, John Moore restored it. It's truly the centerpiece of our building. As I understand it, the architects took measurements of it before they began work and integrated it into their design. If you look closely, you can see the reflection of the authors' names that line the high walls all the way down our main hallway, which is another thing that, I believe, makes us unique.



I've worked in this building for six years now, and every time I look in the case, I see something new. The detail is amazing!



And this is Fred. One of our three remaining fish. Our storytime kids spend a lot of time at that tank, looking at the fish and talking to them. We never hear the fish talk back, but who knows!
This was a most interesting Thing! I have some pictures over at Photobucket, but I found Flickr easier to use. I decided to go with the "discover more" option instead of the regular discovery exercise. I have a few photos uploaded at http://www.flickr.com/photos/15261886@N08/.
I'm always excited by the concept of LPLS reaching out to patrons online as well as in person, and using Flickr could go a long way towards building an Internet presence for us. As we become a more visual world, we can show patrons our most recent book displays, how much fun we have at our special events, and integrate them in departmental or individual LPLS blogs. It all goes toward reminding our patrons to come back and reaching out to new patrons and enticing them to visit us.

1 comment:

Library Step said...

Mel:

Thank you for not saying I am out to kill Fred and gang.